Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy birthday, Larry

Where's Slic?

Larry can write better than anyone I've ever met. Trying to produce a worthy birthday tribute to him is like one of us trying to talk economics with Shane. Luckily, with the latest development in the life of Schwarz, Mouse has already gotten the greatest gift in the world for his birthday so it really doesn't matter what I write.

I guess if there was anything I could say to Larry it would be thanks. Thanks for rocking and rolling with me Freshman year at Bourbon Street every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I would have made it through my first year in Athens.

Thanks for (most of the time) being the voice of reason when Schwarz and I really started rocking and rolling midway through our second year. You undoubtedly talked us into at least a few good decisions along the way. In all honesty though, you were a pretty bad manager. I think what you provided was someone Rick could refer to as his manager, so thank you for that.

By the time we moved into Tanyard, I realized I had found a great roommate. The numerous viewings of Robin Hood, holes in the wall, loud voices during Stairway to Heaven, and other things that would have pissed most people off never seemed to bother you. And if they did, you didn't complain so thanks for putting up with that shit and the host of other things I did which were extremely annoying or obnoxious.

It's been a few years since the glory days of Tanyard. The professional world has carried you to a different city which prohibits you from some of the weekend activities, but you're able to make it back for the majority of the important stuff and a few times in between. I can't think of a 4th of July, Beach Bum, St. Patrick's Day, or big Christmas or Thanksgiving night downtown that doesn't involve the Mouse.

I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge how awesome it is to have someone to talk to about the great sport of basketball. Id rather play basketball with Shane than Michael Jordan, but it's nice to have someone to talk about it with when Shane's busy selling 401k's or paying people to run a 5k. Whether it's the NBA, BC, Duke, Georgia, the Savannah area, Bill Rafferty, or Big You, it's nice to talk to someone who knows so much about the game and loves it as much as I do.

I don't know if it's Rick's big news or what, but I feel like I've done a rather poor job in this birthday tribute . In any case, Larry has become one of my best friends in the world during college. For all you've done in the past and all that you will do for me in the future: Obrigado, Larry.

To Rick's friend's grandson: happy birthday from all of us here at OIA.

Have a good one, dude. 10-6.

5 comments:

Slic Ric said...

Leaky Pete!!!! Leaky Pete!!!!! Leaky Pete!!!!!

Weazle said...

I just shaved your present, Larry. Let me know when you want it. I could mail it to you, if you want.

anymouse said...

Thanks, big dog. Great tags/labels.

"I think what you provided was someone Rick could refer to as his manager"... probably my No. 1 role in life since about halfway through college.

And Weazle: the next time you, me and Donnie are in the same place -- Beard Buffet, Volume 2.

Snuffy said...

Happy Birthday. Considering your "Anymouse" persona, it is fitting that this day be lost in the hoopla surrounding Rick's acting career.

JJBA said...

Screw stick. Mouse is the only person I know that is knowledgeable about every sport from SJS through the Hawks. Stick thinks he knows Georgia and Vinnie Mac. So heres to you Larry, an Irishman, a Cadet, a DGD, and a helluva friend! Happy Birthday!