Monday, April 20, 2009

Pierce Fires Back...


"Since last Wednesday, when I received an alumni email giving me the impression my Uncle Tommy retired from Benedictine Military School after 38 years of unquestionable service and loyalty, I have been reflecting on what transpired over the past week, trying to gather my thoughts and piece together what exactly happened. As most of you are aware, the contract to my uncle, coach and role model was not renewed by Benedictine Military School due to what was so cleverly worded as “restructuring.” His job had been “eliminated” as a result of the creation of two new positions for the purpose of assisting the principal. And just like that, after 38 years of service to Benedictine, its young men, and parents, he was pushed to the way side, like yesterday’s garbage. I cannot and will not stand for it. He deserved so much more.

For starters, let us call a spade a spade. His position was renamed and he was replaced. The explanations given for the nonrenewal of Thomas Arthur Cannon’s contract were, “Economic reasons, the negative perception by certain anonymous parents, and his court side behavior.” As an alumnus of Benedictine Military School, a player under Coach Cannon and someone who has a bit of an inside view into the reality of what is going on, I find that not only an insult to the intelligence of my uncle,but to my family, and any alumnus of Benedictine. To bring up his court side behavior in the year 2009 is comical at best. I could understand if that was brought up 15 years ago or 20 years ago, but now? That is a pathetic cop out amongst many.

As far as economic reasons, I completely understand. Our country is going through one of the most trying times in our financial history and every person; school and business alike are feeling the pinch. That is irrefutable, but what is not, is that there were plenty of other ways to deal with that budget problem, other than dismissing one of Benedictine Military School’s biggest supporters and champions of the school. He has coached for 38 years, did his job and did it with pride, in comparison to some other members of the staff. It is shameful that he was forced out in such a public fashion and under the guise of “restructuring”.
The negative perception of my Uncle Tommy is something that exists. That is true. But placing that entirely on him is wrong and unfair. That perception often times was the result of my Uncle always being the one left holding the bag. When it comes down to it, he was the one who was always blamed when disciplinary actions were taken. Never mind the fact that these matters were voted on by teachers, the principle, students and the Head Master. Tommy Cannon was the disciplinarian/Dean of Students of an all boys Catholic Military School. He was asked to be the disciplinarian by the Benedictines because it was a role they did not feel comfortable playing, and like so many other times in his career, he accepted the task with out question. That being said he had no choice but to be strict on the men of BC. If he were to let his guard down for one instance, those students would try to walk all over him, and that was not an option. That in turn, automatically made him the bad guy. If your son gets kicked out of BC, it’s Tommy’s fault. If your child gets a Saturday detention when he of course did nothing wrong, it’s Tommy’s fault. If your son gets reprimanded for something he swears he didn’t do, it’s Tommy’s fault. I know, better than most the wrath of Tommy Cannon. Being the first Cannon male back at Benedictine since my uncles and father at times was very hard. But it made me the man I am today. My Uncle Tommy made me the man I am today. But above all, he was fair and unwavering in demanding the best out of every student and player that walked the halls of BC.

To say the perception of Tommy Cannon is negative enough to not renew his contract, but positive enough to USE him as salesman of Benedictine is disgraceful. That is hypocrisy at its finest and certain individuals are happily lapping it up.
At the very least he deserves a public apology. Having to find out the way my family did was a slap in the face and something I will never be able to forget. This decision and how it was so callously made hurt my uncle and my family in way that I cannot explain. BC has been a part of my life since the day I was born. I essentially grew there, in more ways than one. I always felt like BC was my second home. Now I do not feel that way. I do not feel welcomed. The Benedictine teachers and coaches always seemed like they were a family, although at times dysfunctional, but a family none the less. Since the departure of Father John Murtha and the untimely passing of Father Albert, it feels like the massive void they left was never filled. The things that BC parents and Alumni loved the most about Benedictine disappeared. Instead those voids were filled by individuals who apparently do not understand what it means to serve God and the Benedictine students selflessly, and for the greater good of the school not their own personal gain.

For some of you, this is a welcomed change. That is an opinion any alumnus is entitled to. But whether you like or dislike Tommy Cannon, the way in which he was dismissed is not what Benedicitne is about and it is up to us to fix that and voice our opinions."

Thoughts?

6 comments:

Barstool69 said...

Was this in the SMN? Please cite your sources, unless your journalistic integrity does not allow it. WWJSD?

Barstool69 said...

I'll have to think about this more, but I do agree with PC that at the least the way in which he was dismissed seems crappy. "Hey thanks for 38 years, theeya!" Seems like they should have at least given him a heads up for a year, if he wanted it.

sauers6 said...

Barstool69 said...
I'll have to think about this more, but I do agree with PC that at the least the way in which he was dismissed seems crappy. "Hey thanks for 38 years, theeya!" Seems like they should have at least given him a heads up for a year, if he wanted it.

The way that I heard, and again, this is all hear-say, Coach Cannon had three weeks to retire, asking for one more year, and Fr. Frank declined the extension. I'm on the fence. Never really had a problem with Coach Cannon. Liked his antics. Still hate to hear the way it's put a bad taste in people's mouth about the way it went down.

Barstool69 said...

Understood Sauers. At that point you ask whether three weeks notice for 38 years is enough. I don't know enough about the situation to comment all that much...

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about the CTC situation. Everyone has differing opinions on it though. What worries me is whether this signals a greater departure from the BC traditions and core values which make it stand out. What's next? Getting rid of the ROTC program?

I'll quote a learned scholar on the matter of changes at BC:

"BC runs the risk of losing its soul and while change has its place, it must be done by keeping the standards and traditions that make it different."

Snuffy said...

I was told that he has known about this since the decision was made in December. I have not heard anything along the lines of Sauers' comment.

sauers6 said...

true stool. How much time should someone be allotted before they be asked for their resignation? My comment came from a conversation supposidely had between a family member of the newly appointed head coaches that were announced with Coach Cannon's departure. I guess kind of easy to figure that one out.