Monday, January 19, 2009

Au Revoir, Premier Bush




I just saw Pat's take on the W presidency over at BMBS, so I figured I'd add a few thoughts of my own about the last eight years.

1: The way Pat said he felt about Clinton, well I felt that way about W Bush from about 2000-2007. Over the last few years, my feelings have changed considerably.

2: Over time, Bush's two Supreme Court appointees will come to be seen as one of his best accomplishments.

3: The whole presidential approval poll thing is overrated. Many two term presidents experienced similar lows in their second term as Bush did.

4: 2004 "W" stickers= 2008 "Change" stickers. Each pissed members of the other party off bad but each symbolized the popular "idea" of each election.

5: Bush won election in 2000 and re-election in 2004. In the realm of American politics, he is one of the biggest winners of all time. And I think this is where a good amount of the venom toward him comes from.

6: Like Jimmy Carter, I see Bush as remained very active after office and working to improve his image and how people remember him. I see him eventually being ranked somewhere from below average to average in terms of presidential greatness. To think that he's the worst president ever is ridiculous, and I don't see his name ever being mentioned alongside the likes of Buchanana, Grant, or Nixon.

7: Along these same lines, the way he's handling the transition with Obama will put a positive spin to last few months of his second term.

8: If W would have been allowed to run again in 2008, I think he would have done better than McCain. Silent majority type of thing.

9: Looking at pictures of Bush from 1999 and pictures of him recently shows how demanding of a job being president of the US really is. He looks like he's aged 20 years, not 10.

10: Thank God he's gone, but he wasn't that bad of a president and he's not a bad guy.

10-6 W.

2 comments:

Slic Ric said...

Captain Bell, will you be having an inauguration viewing party as well?

Charlie Dodson said...

No. Shit will be boring. I'm sure I'll hear about it enough in class and on the news.

Vinny Mac will be back tonight.