Wednesday, December 23, 2009

434 turns 25



Today, December 23rd, 2009, we at OIA wish PMac and Rick Schwarz a very happy 25th birthday.

These two have lived together for the better half of a decade. They left their mark at Russell Hall. Then it was on to Campus Lodge where many memories were made. Now, they are in the process of breaking in Buckhead. Wherever these two have been, (Tuscaloosa, Columbia, Athens, Tybee, Statesboro, Savannah, Atlanta, Tampa, or Tennessee) it's been awesome for us and bad news for everyone else.

How Patrick has managed to live with Rick for all these years and not get seriously injured (except the torn MCL)is anyone's guess. Some might say he's crazy, and in a way, I would agree. We've seen Patrick with phone books, old furniture, and upset neighbors: he can flip the switch with the best of them. And we've heard the comments which continue to shock even his beloved roommate. Then there is Pat's drinking ability would make any Irishman proud: he can drink with the best of them, yet always seems to be in control. It is undoubtedly these things which make us want to hang out with Patrick. Beyond this, he is one of the nicest, classiest guys I've ever met. Plus, I hear he's really long off the tee. I suspect this to be one of the many reasons the ladies love him. He's a damn good friend and a damn good person.

Rick and I have been buds since he was carrying around Deridder dolls at Cannon Court. And during my first year of college, we hung out a lot. Sophomore year of college, things took off. Downtown Athens was our playground. We have rocked and rolled ever since. Infamous stories of our exploits continue to be discussed today. But while the rocking and rolling is what has made Slic famous, there's more to him than just that. (No, I'm not talking about what made Emily fall in love with him years ago).

He is a movie buff; the guy has seriously seen more movies than I've ever heard of. He is a sports fanatic. Even at a time when he is enduring the epic fall of the Trojan dynasty, he still stands proudly in CPC's corner. But seriously, behind all the fire Van Halanger talk, there is not a bigger Dog fan in the world than Rick Schwarz. Besides being an avid Dog fan, Schwarz is a proud supporter of Benedictine. I think Rick represents the "hey I went to BC so I am better than you" attitude better than anyone else. Further, to say Rick is loyal would be an understatement. If Rick likes something or someone, he will defend it until the day he dies. And while Schwarz certainly does not come off as the compassionate type, I will never forget what he did for me when my dad had a heart attack. Lastly, we hear Rick talk about Georgia not needing to settle all the time. While none of us really know what we are doing at the time, I know one thing: Rick will be successful at whatever he ends up doing.

Happy birthday, guys. 10-6.

2 comments:

PMac said...

Very much appreciated Mr. Bell.

Slic Ric said...

25 down, 75 more to go. I'd say it was a successful 1st quarter.