Sunday, June 07, 2009

Dead Blog

Pretty good basketball game tonight. Anyway, I think the best way to wake this place up during Barstool's absence is pretty obvious: another Top 5!

Not really a theme to this first Top 5 in a while, other than that I can't wait to listen to this stuff on the road during a mini-vacation starting in a couple days.

The Replacements – “Alex Chilton”

Would be the best song by maybe the best band ever if not for “Left of the Dial.” Yes, I just snuck an extra song into this “Top 5.” Sue me.

Stevie Wonder – “I Was Made To Love Her”

Awesome as Stevie Wonder is, you could probably use this song to convince me that the dude peaked when he wrote it at 17. He definitely never topped it, that's for sure.

Jason Isbell – “Jailbreak”

The new album by this guy who was in Drive-By Truckers for a time is easily the best thing I've heard all year, and I don't think I've talked about it on here yet. He does a pretty good cover here of that Thin Lizzy song that isn't “The Boys Are Back in Town.”

Camera Obscura – “French Navy”

I'm guessing JJH4 is the only one around here who might be willing to get down with this, but that's cool. Maybe Barstool, too, when he returns from the Far East.


Gin Blossoms – “Allison Road”

A forgotten gem of the previous decade and the best Gin Blossoms song. “Hey Jealousy” is alright, but c'mon.

6 comments:

Shane said...

Bad
Awesome
Good
Very Bad
Good

Charlie Dodson said...

No Jimmy Buffet?

anymouse said...

Three out of five ain't too bad, I say. Though I'm actually stunned someone couldn't love "Alex Chilton."

And as for Jimmy Buffett, I think we all know Cartman said it best.

JJBA said...

Allison Road is a great song. Cartman's did his best stuff with Faith + 1

Carrel_Fan said...

Isbell looks like Stafford

Charlie Dodson said...

KENNNNNEDY!!!!!!!!!