Sunday, May 06, 2007

2006-2007

A generic look at the past school year:

Like any other year there were highs and lows, good and bad, and things that will be remembered for a very long time. Undoubtedly the lasting image will be the unfortunate events that took place at Virginia Tech. Most of the world will recall the deaths of Saddam and Anna Nicole Smith. Around these parts it was the passing of legend "Mr. Mac" and Kevin Brophy. BC experienced turmoil unlike anything in our lifetime. St. Patrick's Day officially turned into Mardi Gras. The University of Georgia adopted new tailgating policies that did a lot and ADPi made national news for basically acting like they always do.

Blogs became really popular all of a sudden. OIA, BMBS, PFB, and BCG provided a platform for harassment, news, particular pictures, mockery and Joe T v. The Specimen. TP was named man of the year despite a valiant attempt by one person stuffing the ballot box. Both Patricks walked away with Picks titles that brought about significant rewards.

Athens was normal in respect to construction, Idiots downtown, and the perception that there are no sports at Georgia other than football. General B's gradually took a backseat to Bourbon Street and Boar's Head regained the title of best bar despite the tremendous effort from Hedge's. Blind Pig almost vanished to our group after being a constant for 2 years.

BC retained the Gold Star. BC's basketball team ended a 10+ year streak. The Cross country team was amongst the best in the state. The wrestling and baseball programs continue to thrive highlighted by a win over the Cavs, and the golf team is having one of their best years in recent memory and try to make history on Monday. Georgia's football team showed why the program is among the top 10 in the country. 9-4 is just not acceptable anymore. The season finished with a flurry and the skill position players on both sides of the ball makes the future look bright. As much fun as the last 3 football games were, the first half of the SEC basketball slate was one of the most exciting times for me as a Georgia student. The combination of a horrible 2 year stretch, a roster of players that were lovable, and the common cause for Brophy made January enjoyable. Though the season ended well short of what everyone had hoped for, the basketball program was revitalized and most important relevant again. Georgia seems to always flourish in the spring and 2007 has been no different. Outside of a baseball team who fizzled early after a CWS appearance, 1 National Championship has been captured in 3-peat fashion and there are 4 teams with legitimate shots at adding to that total. In Atlanta, the Braves' remarkable run came to an end. I don't think we will ever see anything like that in any sport ever again.

I know a lot was left out and I ask for your thoughts on the year.

Finally, Top 5 memories of the past 9 months:

T5. "Glamorous" on repeat as Rick takes a short nap
T5. Party with Bad Santa
4. Reardon's reaction to Rick during pre-game festivities for Georgia vs. Tennessee

3. Maher v. Bell & Bruce/Shelton v. Pig
2. Steve Newman beats Arkansas and the accompanying Scott Howard call
1. September 15- Marlins @ Braves

As some of our close friends from the past 3-4 years move on to bigger and better things, I'd like to quote Mr. Lance McElroy: " Its been real, its been fun, and for the most part its be real fun."

5 comments:

Slic Ric said...

As I seem to recall, photographic evidence suggests you took a little nap of your own with a certain someone on the way back from that Marlins-Braves game.

Charlie Dodson said...

My top 5 events of the 2006-2007 school year include:

1: With all the people who are remembered for their athletic contributions to Benedictine Military School, Austin Cail should be at the top of the list. He beat the odds and overcame Stevens Johnson Syndrome/TENS to help the basketball team to their first postseason win in nearly a decade. Also, he has helped lead the baseball team back to the state playoffs.

2: My trip down to Tybee Island for Old South. I won 50 bucks,drank some, and took my clothes off. I also ran into Leighton on the way back to Athens.

3: The Emergence of Dave "Pure" Bliss. We used to boo him every game, and it's hard to argue that he wasn't one of our favorites this year. He didn't really take the whole "Do it for Broph" thing to heart. Instead, he took his 6'8 250 pound frame, and he did it like Broph.

4: Ric goes cold turkey and UGA knocks off Auburn. A Vinne Mac screwjob and a handful of horsemens later, he's backkkkk!

5: Larry and I moving to Tanyard. We met Gibson. We hung with the crazies across the way. I talked to Katie Bee. And the girl in #7 likes to do it. It's been great. The best thing about it is that we have another year here. So from #8 Tanyard on May 7th, here's to 2007-2008 being even more eventful.

Slic Ric said...

This is a little long but entertaining:

5. Cinco de Mayo 2007
The perfect end to the school year. It was just a great overall day. Even though the honest attempt at mint jullips fell through, the margaritas didn't. Sedgefield made a valiant effort but if somebody's horse had to win who better than Big Tom Holland. Fight night in Las Vegas didn't dissapoint either. Watching the De La-Hoya-Mayweather fight with DORF, Schivera, John Jones, and the rest of the order was fun. My fight prediction was dead on which is why when I do go to Vegas I'm going to make a lot of money. Riding downtown with JJ was interesting. Tyler was certainly enjoying himself. And then of course downtown was a blast. With "Glamorous" blaring in the background, I was able to style and profile, throw up the four fingers, belt out a few WOOOOOOOO's, chop a couple of people, watch Tootle end up in a couple of altercations, hang out with Roderick and some of the other football players (McCarthy if you haven't listened to my messages yet there's one on there from Roderick and it's pretty funny), and ask one of the female bartenders if she was staying up here over the summer. She said yes so I proceeded to tell her "good then I'll be seeing a lot of you after June 11th." Long story short, Toppers was closed so with no where else to go I calmly walked back to Tanyard.

4. The PIG Incident
Yes it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen and the fact that it was Maher's makes it that much funny. Aside from a smile on my face and a brief chuckle, every time I look at the pig it will conjure up memories of Shelton and Bruce, Beerfest II, and just how special a place like Statesboro really is.

3. NewSource 15
Honestly, how in the hell else would I get on television? Covering things like bomb threats, signing day, and JD's day at the golf course was a unique experience. I met a lot of people, went to a lot of places I'd never been before, and got to do some things I'll probably never do again.

2. Georgia at South Carolina- September 9, 2007
Quite possibly one of the funnest football games I've ever been to. I probably have I-20 and a bottle of Maker's Mark to thank for that. I've had multiple individuals approach me, the most recent being a month ago, and tell me they remember seeing me waving a big flag in the middle of the street and thinking it was the funniest, coolest thing they had ever seen. This incident almost started several riots and definitely ended up with some obscenities being thrown my way. But don't worry, I threw out a few choice words of my own. I also seemed to have upset a lot of cock fans (known as some of the nicest fans in the country and definitely the SEC) after the game when I loudly stated "I own this town. They should give me a key to the f***in' city because I am undefeated in Columbia, South Carolina." I also believe after the game, during a phone conversation with my manager J.J. Coneff, I first used the term "Nostra'fuckin'damus." In other happenings: I fell over a cooler, talked with some WTOC employees (possibly hurting any job aspirations I might have had with them), saw JD tumble down the bleachers with a big stain on the front of his shirt while hitting on a married woman, and oh yeah Georgia won by honoring Erk with a shutout of Steve Spurrier's team. I'm sure McCarthy can add some things to this topic.

1. Leaving Campus Lodge
I know it technically hasn't happened yet but come August I'll be leaving the place I've called home up here for the past 3 years. It seems like just yesterday myself and McCarthy moved into our "poolside" apartment. So much has happened in those 3 years. Stolen flags and signs, holes in the wall, broken tables, beeping smoke alarms, telephone books in the pool, confrontations with the rugby team, Super Bowl parties, Charles and his weapons, McCarthy (when he wasn't a bitch) telling our neighbor to die and then having to talk to the police 30 minutes later, pool parties, sweat beads, Holland throwing up, a hard body championship, walks through Whistlebury Forrest and over Troll bridge to get back, numerous and loud early morning arrivals from downtown and early morning departures for tailgating, blasting the fourth quarter song at 5:45 in the morning 6 Saturdays out of the year, game day workouts,Tucker's dog hair, McCarthy's torn MCL, Anglin cooking the whole pack of hot dogs and eating none of them, random visits from Erica, some less than impressive parking jobs, lost phones, lost check cards, lost driver's licenses, and the list goes on (feel free to add); and that's not even getting into the shit that happened over at Larry and Donnie's when they lived here. Yes when I walk out of this place in August it will truly be the end of an era.

Charlie Dodson said...

Nice work Slic. Me and Larry talked a little last night about this year kind of being the end of an era. Next year will certainly be the farewell tour although this last semester seems to be the last time we'll all be up here. I don't know. This upcoming Fall will be fun, but after that, things could really be different for us who remain here. I personally think all of yall who have less than 4 semesters left here, which I do, should just stay up here and follow Widespread around during the week so you can hang out with me on the weekends. I've got a killer grilled cheese recipe...

PMac said...

I plan on posting something a little later this summer about alot of the stuff that has already been mentioned, but here's a quick top 5 for myself.

5.) BC's golf team wins the region for the first time in I don't know how many years. It was always something I wanted to accomplish, but Glynn was too damn good every year. They can win state today in Waynesboro.

4.)Levi Stukes sinks the game winning 3 to beat LSU on the day they honored Kevin Brophy. A great experience highlighted by all of us being pictured in the background with Stukes and Humphries.

3.)Best home game tailgate of the year was by far Tennessee. One of the best times I had all year seeing Rick do his thing and seeing Jack take his picture with Jonathan Wyatt. Even though we lost, I still caught an extra point with one hand and a Beam and Coke in the other. Something I will always remember.

2.) The South Carolina game was one of the wildest things I've ever been to. Not only did Rick drink himself silly(no surprise), the atmosphere there is unlike any other place I've been to. Seeing Rick walk down the middle of the main road with his flag and talking shit to anyone that would listen was just awesome. I wish ya'll had made it over there with us. I could go on and on about this one.

1.) My trip to Vegas was my number one highlight of the year. I could talk about this place forever and I encourage everyone on here to make it atleast once.

There's alot more I'll touch on when I post again before I graduate.