Monday, November 17, 2008

Cheer Up, Brothers

Lost in all the bitching and moaning about the Georgia football team recently is the fact that the basketball team has already gotten started, with a pretty uneventful win over USC-Upstate (I'm sure they've all been to The Beacon.).

Even I'd kind of forgotten about them until a few minutes ago, when I saw Shavlik Randolph throw one down against North Carolina on ESPN Classic. Duke is currently ranked No. 1, but has no idea that a few months later Redick will miss the big shot in the Final Four as I watch from the TGI Friday's at the Riverfront Marriott. Also, remember when Duke used to have post players?

But that's neither here nor there.



Anyway, the Bulldogs start play in the Preseason NIT tonight against Loyola-Chicago, where if they win, Purdue will be waiting to completely embarrass them. And I, for one, will be listening at 9 p.m. when the Honorable Jeff Dantlzer dazzles us with his color commentary.

I'm not expecting much from Georgia this year and, thankfully, it doesn't seem like anyone else is, either. I was pretty worried that people who don't pay all that much attention believed that they had turned some kind of corner and that Felton had to either get an at-large bid or hope SCAD changes its mind about dropping basketball and gives him a job.

Even if Billy Humphrey hadn't one-upped our boy Stick with his third arrest, this team was going to be ridiculously young. And I know that's an excuse, but it's also the reality of the situation. It'd be one thing if all of the young guys were supremely talented, but they're not. And even if Trey Thompkins is, it looks like he's going to be slowed for a while.

This is a weird spot for the program, because despite a 4-12 SEC record last season, this is a legitimate rebuilding year. But at least the league appears to be pretty down again, especially in the West, so maybe they'll surprise us.

I think, realistically, you've got to hope for a couple decent non-conference wins (either someone in the NIT, Illinois, Missouri, VT or Tech), weather a pretty rough start to the SEC and hope you can salvage enough wins late to make the real NIT. Unless a March hurricane hits Tampa during the conference tourney, I guess.

But I don't know. Maybe Dustin Ware is really Chris Paul. Or Travis Leslie turns out to be Vince Carter. Or Drazen Zlovaric is, like, Rashard Lewis or something.

But either way, barring a complete disaster, I don't see any reason to call for any heads this year. We can leave that to the football team (How weird is that to say?).

What do you think? I am I the only one who really cares?

11 comments:

Charlie Dodson said...

You should be a writer or something.

I like the PMA.

Starting 5: Swansey, Green, Durham, Tompkins, and Price

Sixth Man: TRAV off the bench

anymouse said...

Embarrassing loss to a team that went 12-19 with a losing record in the Horizon League last year.

Loyola also lost its first game to someone called Rockhurst, apparently a Division II team.

Leslie sounds promising, but Georgia had better hope Thompkins turns out to be a Basketball Jesus.

Slic Ric said...

The Hoop Dawgs were as about as inspiring tonight as the football team. At least when the football team plays shitty they still win most of their games. Felton's guys can't even get by Loyola on an off night. I'll admit I don't follow basketball that closely but I know losing to Loyola, who just lost to Rockhurst (who the f*** is Rockhurst?) is embarrassing.

Slic Ric said...

Sorry for the overlap. Before writing it anymouse's comment was not there.

Charlie Dodson said...

It's okay. I guess yall's minds work the same way.

Slic Ric said...

Yeah except I think Felton's ass should be on the hotseat if not fired the minute the team gets back to Athens. That's inexcusable. Kentucky losing to VMI is one thing but Loyola, really?

Charlie Dodson said...

So nice guys and assholes finish last.

Slic Ric said...

There's an exception to every rule.

JJBA said...

I'm not trying to be your average aggrevated Georgia basketball fan but I believe this will be Coach Felton's last year. From what I've read about his contract and where the program stands right now, I don't think Evans will have much of a choice. Do I want him gone? Yes. Do I kind of feel bad for him? Yes. I really believe that he wants to do it the right way with good people who do the right thing. But his coaching ability seems to suffer even when he has talent on the floor. I listened to a good portion of the Eastern Michigam game on the radio and you could almost sense something in Howard's and JD's voices in the first half that this could be a real ugly year, real ugly. I hope not but with a tougher than usual non-conference schedule, along with the SEC, I don't see Georgia winning more than 12 games.

On a brighter note, Georgia baseball recruiting is going remarkably.

JJBA said...

P.S. I will never forget that moment at Arkansas for as long as I live.

anymouse said...

Yeah, the Georgia Sports Blog made that post about Felton's contract situation right after I put mine up. It's going to be really tough to extend him after what's shaping up to be an awful season. Especially when they didn't do it last year.

I think the guy could have been really successful under different circumstances, but with another terrible year under his belt, it would be hard to justify keeping him around.

But again, maybe Thompkins is the Second Coming. Probably not, but I don't think it's fair to write them off until I see them at full strength.