Thursday, July 01, 2010

Top Three Thursday

Only a couple of entries this week, since I had a lot to say on the first subject. Like Westerdawg, I've got nothing to add on Damon Evans. Just bad times.

1. Things are going to start off a little serious for a change today. If you're like me, and have been following this whole NFL brain injury thing the last year or so, you're probably wondering why Chris Henry having CTE isn't the biggest story in the country right now. I don't know why it isn't, either.

We knew that NFL veterans' brains were filled with this tissue that basically makes people the equivalent of “punch-drunk” boxers, leading to dementia, substance abuse and all kinds of terrible things. Now, we know of a guy who was a young, active player at a “glamour” position who had it.

Most of the analysis I've seen tries to link Henry's erratic behavior to CTE, but I'm more interested in how widespread this is, and what the long-term effects will be on athletes. I mean, the guy's only documented concussions came in high school. If this stuff starts developing in contact sports in high school, then God help us all. Dudes are getting bigger, stronger and faster, and the collisions are only going to get more violent at every level in the years to come, I would imagine.

Football is the best sport there is, but this kind of thing almost makes it hard to be a fan right now. I hope this isn't as alarming as it seems, that maybe a larger sample size of deceased players' brains will make it a little less scary. Plays like this one have a whole new meaning at this point.

2. On a lighter note, at least someone out there is happy to make light of concussions. And I should probably post this related clip while I'm at it. (“I have dubbed thee Herschel Walker Cuyler Them Dawgs Is Hell Don’t They”)

3. I think Barstool covered every song that mentions America for his playlist earlier this week. There's already one Springsteen song on there, I know, but the only suggestion I could think of would be good for the slow-dance portion of this weekend's festivities:

1 comment:

Charlie Dodson said...

This might be the opening CTC has been looking for. He's always been good with the media.

People continue to look the other way with the concussion thing. I don't know what it will take for people to really start noticing/caring. For now, I think people are aware, but they are worried it will take away from America's favorite sport if stricter guidelines/rules are implemented at all levels.