Friday, July 09, 2010

Top Five Friday: Cavs Owner Is a Baby

1. I know I'm part of a small minority in that I don't think that going to the Heat makes LeBron James less of a man. I'll get to some of those arguments in a minute. But one thing we all should be able to agree on is that a lot of the ripping on the guy has gotten way out of hand.

Take the Cavaliers owner, Dan Gilbert. I thought a lot of his letter to Cleveland fans was pretty funny ("I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING' WINS ONE" That's good stuff.)

The parts about “shameful display(s) of selfishness and betrayal,” “cowardly betrayal(s)” and “heartless and callous action” were a little much. But then in an interview comes this: “He quit," Gilbert said. "Not just in Game 5, but in Games 2, 4 and 6. Watch the tape. The Boston series was unlike anything in the history of sports for a superstar." Then there's some other stuff that's almost as bad.

“Not playing well” and “quitting” are two entirely different things. He didn't quit in the Boston series. He had a bad Game 5 and brought it in Game 6. I don't think Kobe Bryant quit in Game 7 of the finals when he went 6 for 24. He didn't play well, but in his case his teammates were good enough to make up the difference. But if the Lakers had lost, Kobe would have been a choker, right? This stuff just kills me.

I felt bad for Gilbert when LeBron made his decision last night, because he seemed to have tried really hard to build something around him. But I also couldn't feel too bad because he left Danny Ferry in charge of his roster for seven years, and Ferry never put a really good player alongside LeBron. Now, though, I can't feel for the guy at all. He needs to grow up. What a baby.


2.
Shane is absolutely right to compare LeBron to Kevin Garnett in the comments of the last post. They're both great players who were victims of circumstance. The people running their teams were incompetent and they needed to get out in order to play for a title. If either player had been drafted by teams that knew what they were doing, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

3.
Personally, I think this stuff about “winning on your own” is just silly. No one wins titles on their own. How many Hall of Famers did Larry Bird play with? How many did Magic Johnson play with? Scottie Pippen is one of the greatest basketball players who ever lived, so I guess Jordan wasn't that much of a man since he won titles with him. Maybe Kobe should have told the Lakers not to worry about trading for Pau Gasol, since it would be better for his legacy if he won “on his own.” And hey, Dwyane Wade should have told LeBron not to bother coming and making him look like less of a man, since he's so much better at winning and all.

4.
Look, I know that James looks like a mercenary or something, but his circumstances are different than the ones these other guys faced. That's not an excuse for what he did; it's a reason. There's a difference. Also, the TV special was a horrendous p.r. decision. But as far as I can tell, it's the first misstep dude has made in seven years. One bad night doesn't make you A-Rod.

5.
If nothing else, this has me excited about basketball in the middle of the summer. I might buy League Pass just to watch these guys every night.

6 comments:

Charlie Dodson said...

As usual, spot-on. If Lebron is such a baby, then why'd they want to resign him to a max contract and build around him?

As for Lebron quitting, didn't he have a triple double in the game 6 where they got eliminated?

2010 playoffs: 29 points, 1.8 blocks, 1.7 steals, 7.6 assists, and 9.3 rebounds per game

Series he "quit" against Boston:
26 points, 2 steals, 1.5 blocks, 7 assists and over 9 rebounds per game.

Shane said...

I still dont like the move.

Two things to note.

1.) Like Jack pointed out yesterday, you can't be the best player of all time if one of your teammates has more championships than you do. If he wins ten, D. Wade will (most like) have eleven.

2.) If the heat don't win the NBA championship in two years, Lebron will have a lot "image issues" to work out. Right now, he probably is the most talented basketball player (maybe athlete) ever. Hardware is what matters and besides the three superstars, the Heat don't have anything (except a decent player in Chalmers).

I dont automatically call them the favorite in the NBA right now.

Miami v. L.A. Breakdown

Lebron v. Artest- adv Miami
D. Wade v. Kobe- adv L.A.
Bosh v. Gasol- adv L.A.

anymouse said...

I wasn't really trying to convince anyone that it's a great move, just that it doesn't make him a bad person or a weak person necessarily.

1. You can be to people who aren't so simple-minded to believe that "more championships = better player."

2. You're right. It definitely depends on who else they sign.

anymouse said...

Also, I forgot to throw this out there in the post:

lol Knicks

Shane said...

Haha about the Knicks... I seriously thought they were about to catch a break.

JJBA said...

Like Bobby always said, "its not hard to do the right thing."

The problem that I believe many people have was Lebron making a spectacle of leaving his home for a better opportunity. A self-produced "I'm going to greener pastures and I'm rubbing it in the best way I know how" show. I don't have a problem with him leaving, I just think its going to hurt him in the long run despite how many championsips he wins. And thats another thing, the theory that only championships can make you great is idiotic. Brady was so much better than Manning until Peyton won a Super Bowl. All of a sudden Manning was seen as the best QB in the NFL by leaps and bounds. Give me a break, you are the player you are whether you win 0 or 10. Malone and Barkley are no worse players just because they didn't win, just as Manning would still be a better player than Montana with 0 championships.

Anyway, the Cavs owner was immature and off base with his comments. But he had to do something to give a little juice to a franchishe that just got bombed. Was that the best way? No. But I think it was pretty bad ass and funny.

The fact that LeBron couldn't win in the playoffs for 7 years probably was an indication of his inferior teamates( Though it has been pointed out that a short term contract really wasn't an overly inviting variable for free agents). Only reinforcing that the NBA has a 6 month preseason.

The main problem I have with LeBron was how he handled it and the jackass front he put on last night. My sister said, "he didn't need to be a jerk about it." Yes, you are the best player in the NBA. Cleveland didn't need to hear how lucky they were to have you. You are so awaesome man that you took a pay cut, I hope you can get by. "we won't be sharing a spotlight, we will have 3seperate spotlights" is a good way to go about it. The arrogance of not telling any of the franchises your decision is just refusing to do the right thing. Having your homeboy tell Cleveland is one thing you he that is cowardly.

I guess all I'm saying is he left his team and city in shambles. Not his fault, but he picked the most absolute selfish way to do so. Yeah, Cleveland was lucky to have you. But if I'm a Cleveland fan today I'm not so bummed.

And sweet neck beared dude.

Happy College Football season!