Monday, December 03, 2007

Rick's Rant: ESPN's Hypocrisy

I'll try to make this short because I could literally go on for days about Georgia getting screwed out of the BCS title game. There are so many angles you can take on the situation. I've decided to narrow it down and focus on ESPN and the dirty tactics they used this weekend. These may not have directly kept the Dawgs out of the championship but it certainly didn't help Georgia's cause by any means. I'm not pissed at LSU, Oklahoma, or Virginia Tech for jumping Georgia because it's not their fault- it's the voters. I would go off on Ohio St. and Illinois right now but I think I've beat that drum enough and everyone is familiar with my position on Big Ten football- it's a JOKE.

I will say this though, if Ohio St. (0-8 against the SEC in bowl games) gets embarrassed by LSU like they SHOULD and Illinois gets thoroughly dominated by USC like they WILL then the BCS should be amended. This will be the 2nd year in a row the Big Ten puts 2 teams in BCS bowls and both of their teams completely piss their pants, fold like a cheap tent, and lose by multiple TDs. In case anyone forgot, Florida and USC made Ohio St. and Michigan their bitches last year in their respective bowl games. Then a Florida player said after the game that they played at least 6 teams in the SEC that were better than the Buckeyes. I believe the players themselves would know better than anyone else. Anyways, as a result of not being able to pose any sort of challenge against "good teams," the BCS committee should make a rule that would keep Big Ten teams out of the BCS bowls completely for at least the next 5 years. They should be confined to the lower tier bowls and after their 5 year suspension is up the situation will be reevaluated. Okay I'm already getting off course. Back to those conniving bitches at ESPN.

I woke up Saturday morning at 10 a.m. to watch ESPN College Gameday and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Herbstreit, Corso, and Fowler talked up Georgia like we were the greatest thing since sliced bread. They said a lot of good things about the Dawgs, calling them THE hottest team in the country and promoting them as much as possible for a Rose Bowl match-up against USC (they assumed West Virginia and Mizzou would win). A lot of Georgia fans and SEC fans in particular complain about how ESPN has a bias against the SEC and I tend to agree to a certain extent because I think they do favor the Big 10 and Pac 10 and I find it odd that they won't bring Gameday to Athens. So needless to say I was shocked that these guys were kind of going out of their way to hype Georgia Saturday morning. In all fairness though, I will say Herbstreit and Corso have been giving us pretty good publicity for the past couple of weeks. Gameday went off the air at noon just like usual and everything was fine and dandy in the Bulldog Nation.

Then, as the day and evening progressed, a highly improbable series of events took place. The two teams ahead of Georgia, West Virginia and Missouri, fell and all of sudden the Bulldogs long, outside shot at a BCS title berth became very realistic. Apparently though, while all of this was taking place and Georgia was not in action, the boys at ESPN changed their mind about the Dawgs. Hypocrite Herbstreit changed his tune quick and started campaigning for his alma mater Ohio St. (not surprising). He and Corso decided now that it was actually possible for Georgia to go to the BCS title game that the Bulldogs were not worthy of a title shot, the complete opposite of what they had expressed not even 24 hours before. Of course it didn't take long for those blatantly biased assholes Lou Holtz and Mark May back in studio to pile on and repeatedly throw the Dawgs under the proverbial bus. Those two, who have always hated Georgia (especially Mark May- I wish Trev would have beat his ass before he left), badmouthed Georgia for a good 10 minutes (for no reason), going on a tirade about how the Bulldogs have ABSOLUTELY NO right to be in the championship game. I mean the tone and content of what they were saying went beyond stating their case for or against Georgia- it sounded like personal attack against CMR and the Bulldog Nation. They blasted Georgia during their bowl selection show too even after it was decided Georgia would not be playing for the national championship (more piling on). As pissed as I was about what Holtz and May were saying I wasn't surprised at all. They've always hated us and I've always hated them. The guy who pissed me off the most was Herbstreit. I use to like him but he is now dead to me. Listening to him take back everything he had said about Georgia in order to get his own team into the BCS title game was ludicrous. Listening to him try to justify Ohio St. while constantly downplaying the Dawgs was downright sickening. Yes Kirk you may take the knife out of my back now you two-faced, phony SOB. Yeah Kirk's not biased at all- give me a f***ing break...

He said strength of schedule was very important, admitted the Buckeye's SOS wasn't very impressive, and yet still said they deserved a shot at the title. Herbie lost a lot of credibility and respect Saturday in my book. I won't even get into the whole Les Miles-Michigan fiasco that he managed to royally f*** up. It was really funny listening to him try to justify that the BCS title game wasn’t about the 2 hottest teams or even the 2 BEST teams at that moment (are you f***ing kidding me). He said it was the overall body of work which once again doesn’t scream Ohio St. who lost in their 2nd to last game of the season or LSU who has lost 2 TIMES since Georgia’s last loss.ESPN you are DEAD to me...

I just don't understand how in the course of a day, after a few games in which Georgia wasn't even involved in, such "expert" analysts can pull a complete 180 and bury us in front of a national audience which no doubt contained lots of important voters. They go from singing our praises to staging a public execution and the whole thing is complete BULLSHIT and bush league. Holland made some great points earlier- these guys have way too much power and pull. That's bad for college football and certainly taints the sport. I think they need to be taken down a couple of notches. Come back TREV and take out the trash.

2 comments:

Claire&PresentDanger said...

I stumbled onto your site looking for a good nickname for my bowl pick em. I hate ohio st and the big ten more than I can even explain. I wanted a good name to bash that sorry excuse for a conference and low and behold google directed me to you. Not only did I say every single word you typed on saturday as I watched my beloved dawgs get screwed out of the title game, I thought even more. Just wanted to let you know your not alone and everything you said was spot on. Keep up the good work and take solice in the fact that ill ohio st and mich WILL all loose their bowl games making the pussy 10 look even worse.
oh and herbstreet...my god!!!! i seriously told my roomie that he was dead to me after sat's performance. a royal fuck up and hypocrit all wrapped into one. and believe me when i say if i had any choice in the matter i would never watch espn again. keep up the good work and GO DAWGS!!

J.B. said...

My friend sent me a link to this page and asked me if I started a blog without telling her. My sentiments EXACTLY. Like you said, I can't be mad at the teams, but I can RAISE HELL about the system and the piece of shit ESPN network that has WAY TOO MUCH INFLUENCE with NOT MUCH KNOWLEDGE TO SUPPORT IT.

I don't listen to May or Holtz, as I'm sure most of America doesn't. You can pretty much bet the farm against anything they say and win.

I DO have a problem with Herbie. He was singing Georgia's praises all morning, and then as the day shaped up and it looked like UGA should and would be playing OSU in the BCS national championship, all of a sudden we didn't win our conference and we shouldn't go. Ummm, quick question...does the BIG 10 even have a conference championship??? So if that disqualifies us, that disqualifies OSU as well.

Of course I can't blame Herbie either. NO ONE thought Pitt would win and UGA vs. OSU was a long shot. Once Herbie saw that his team might have to play "the best team in the nation" (his words that morning) of course he's lobbying for LSU because he knows OSU has not shot against UGA.

A silver lining around every cloud: We have a chip on our shoulder for next year. When beat LSU next year in Baton Rouge, everyone in the country will know they got it wrong this year and will not be able to count us out NEXT YEAR!!