Sunday, December 02, 2007

Other than Being Pissed Today......

I went from being 70% in favor of a playoff to 100% wanting a playoff. I do know that there will never be a perfect formula. I also know that any type of playoff format(a plus 1, 4 team, 8 team) would work better for me. Georgia having to face Hawaii was just as depressing as not playing for the title, but the fact that LSU will play Ohio State for the BCS National Championship is what irks me the most. Besides the fact that Ohio State played the worst schedule in the country and LSU has failed at being #1 twice, its that Corso, Herbstreit, May, and Holtz, on December 1, had just as much impact on who would play in New Orleans as the players who competed for the past 14 weeks. The old system was not good but at least it did not take into account the opinion of a former Ohio State QB giving his "unbiased" opinion. However, I do smile in confidence tonight knowing that 2 years from now we will see the end of the BCS. Who knows what will follow the BCS. But even you Boise, -10 degee, smurf turf bound Techies would agree, it can't be worse than what determines the champion of the greatest sport in the world today. I also know that there is not another Coach in the country that I'd rather have leading my school's team than Mr. Richt.

My favorite quote of the day: "Thank you BCS for giving us a system in which an entire fan base would rather play in Orlando than the Sugar Bowl."

Selections from ESPN.com writer Gene Wojciechowski:

"Sort of like a playoff" isn't working. "Sort of like a playoff" gave us at least six teams that could each make valid arguments for a BCS Championship spot. But instead of a playoff, the finalists were determined by 176 voters (some of whom actually pay attention), six computer polls and politicking.

Nobody is playing better than OU, Georgia or USC right now. But it's Ohio State, with its puppy fur-soft nonconference schedule and so-so Big Ten quality, that was chosen for New Orleans. Interesting, since the Buckeyes didn't register a win against a top 20 team at the time they played. At least inconsistent LSU mostly survived a killer conference and won its league championship game.

This isn't meant as a total rip job on the Buckeyes and Tigers. They finished atop the BCS standings because they won and lost at the "right" times against the "right" teams. They are the beneficiaries of the perfect BCS storm.

There will be those who say the unpredictability of this season and of the BCS is what made college football so compelling in 2007. I'd say the BCS is what made this season so embarrassing. How can you have these delicious scenarios without having a playoff to resolve them on the field?

We're back where we started pre-BCS. Chaos reigns. And all because too many people in the business of college football are willing to settle, willing to pretend there isn't a better solution. Makes you want to chug that martini.

--At least I can take solace in knowing that I will turn my television to GPTV on Friday morning and watch a product that no TV personality or computers can ruin.

8 comments:

PMac said...

Very well said. It amazes me how much power the media really has in this country, whether it's sports or in politics. Watching ESPN late last night just made me sick and I have lost a lot of respect for a few of those guys.

Charlie Dodson said...

Hey Jack, do yall still want to go New Orleans to watch Georgia play in the Sugar Bowl? I think it would be fun.

anymouse said...

Who the hell wants to go to Orlando?

Slic Ric said...

I'd much rather go to Orlando and destroy Michigan by 65 points.

Carrel_Fan said...

I hear Orlando is eally nice this time of year.

sauers6 said...

rick u can come with me if u want...

Slic Ric said...

No thanks but I will be pulling for the Gators to blow out the Wolverines.

sauers6 said...

rick, how bout a rajun cajuns reunion tourny