Sunday, June 27, 2010

Obligatory Soccer Post

The soccer debate has gone on for too long and doesn't contain enough firepower to change set minds. I will keep this short and (relatively) non-controversial for two reason: 1.) I'm sick of hearing about soccer, and 2.) It does not interest me (I just don't want Schiv riding my ass about not paying my gambling debts like Snuffy has for the past 4 years*).

That said, here goes.

Soccer is dumb. It is too slow and soccer fans remind me of post-'04 Red Sox's fans. I didn't know either existed (soccer fans OR Red Sox's fans) until about 6 years ago. In the US, soccer is the flavor of the month and every Joe Blow wants to pretend like they completely understand the game and they have never been able to live without it. There is also the issue of trying to force it down your throat.

This weekend, I was put in a situation where I had no option other than to watch the US match with strangers in a Villa (Yea, I said Villa) in North Georgia. My dislike for soccer was voiced early and after an incredible goal scored in the game before the US game one of the lifelong soccer fans that I was hanging out with looked over and said something along the lines of "is that exciting enough for ya?". I conceded that it was an incredibly athletic move and it was rather exciting. I later got to thinking that it was probably as exciting as one of Lebron's dunks or one of Dwight Howard's blocked shots, which happens at least every game**.

All that said, I am glad the US did as well as they did. Not because I love my country or anything foolish like that. Instead, its because nothing good ever came from being spiteful.

*Snuffy, send me your new address and I will put a check in the mail today.
**I mention this story to highlight some soccer fan's attitudes toward non-soccer fans, not to debate whether soccer is more exciting than any other sport.

1 comment:

Snuffy said...

Just give it to Patricks Holland and McCarthy, since I owe them for high school lines.