Sunday, June 13, 2010

Keeping Up My End of the Deal

I am ashamed to admit that I did watch part of the USA-England soccer match-up yesterday. As Pmac and my self waited to kick some guys' asses in racquetball, we played a game of pool in our apartment complex's lounge area. They had a big screen tv in there with the game on and I didn't know how to change the channel. The result: I hate soccer more today than yesterday. How can you have a game on "the world's biggest stage" end in a tie. Horseshit. I need a clear cut winner. I need some kind of payoff for putting up with that shit even for just the 15 minutes I watched it. Now I know we see ties in other sports on the rarest of rare occasions but come on. Would the NFL let the Super Bowl end in a tie? Would Major League Baseball have Game 7 of the World Series end in a tie? What about golf? Two guys finish tied for the lead after 18 Sunday at the Masters. Let's go to a playoff. No screw it let's just give them both a green jacket. Wow. Great sport you have there world. You can keep it. Not to mention soccer is the ONLY thing England would have a chance at competing with the US when it comes to "sports." I use that term very loosely in this case. Why even watch a "sport" where France has one of the better teams. Everybody knows France is a bitch of a country. Remember WWI and WWII. Fine Barstool. Wear your Donovan jersey and cheer the USA. I get that. However please, please don't tell me ever again that I should watch soccer or that it is a real sport. You stick with your futbol, I'll take my football any day of the week and twice on Sunday because 1) it's more exciting (huge understatement), 2) there's a winner, and 3) the USA would beat the holy hell out of anyone. I could go on for days but I'll cut it there.




My apologies for missing Wednesday...

28 comments:

Pl0we said...

Kenny Powers said, "No I don't. I play real sports."

Barstool69 said...

the passion of jim rome with the wit of glenn beck. well done.

Snuffy said...

Rick, what are you afraid of?

Slic Ric said...

?

Snuffy said...

It's not your fault, Rick. It's not your fault.

Slic Ric said...

Case in point, the St. Jude Classic today. 3 guys finished tied for the lead after 72 holes. Did the PGA give trophies and big checks to all 3 golfers. No, they went into a sudden death playoff where a champion was crowned. Nice job PGA. Somebody gets it.

Barstool69 said...

except the WC is only in the group stage right now...

Barstool69 said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY6k50qB4Ys

anymouse said...

College football was un-American until the mid-'90s.

Weazle said...

Allow me to explain what my pal, Vera (Schiv's new nickname)was attempting to explain. The group stage of the WC is like a very short "regular season" where everyone is basically playing for seeding. Teams can tie because it still gives everyone a basic idea where each team stands. Being tied in the group stage is like being tied after the first round of a golf tournament on a Thursday. Since the PGA Tour allows people to be tied after the first round, does that make golf a pointless sport?

Pl0we said...

How was college football un-American until the mid-90's?

Pl0we said...

gotcha

Slic Ric said...

Here's the bottom line boys and girls: the biggest soccer game in US men's history ended in a tie. Where' the payoff?

Slic Ric said...

I guess if ties don't do it for you I could talk about the 107 faked injuries I saw in the 15 minutes. Come on I mean they have shin guards.

Pl0we said...

I agree with you. There should be no ties at all.

Slic Ric said...

Couple that with the fact that all the bitch countries are good at soccer and that should speak volumes about the "sport."

Barstool69 said...

1. are you saying saturday was the biggest US match of all time? nope.

2. the US doesn't fake injuries. i didn't see any of that saturday. i did see tim howard get spiked in the ribs (possibly breaking them), get shot up at halftime Varsity Blues style and come back to have an amazing second half. but i guess he's still a pussy right?

if you're gonna be all opinionated about it, the least you could do is watch an entire match as the bet contemplated.

Barstool69 said...

plowe - as a golf fan...really?

Pl0we said...

I see your point Barstool.

anymouse said...

I'm almost afraid to ask what constitutes a "bitch country".

Sir William Wallace said...

That Tim Howard guy did fake that. The guys leg gave way when it hit him and he sat there and cried on the ground. If he had balls he would have gotten back up and told those english women to bring it on. Fuck soccer there are far too many examples of fake injuries and ties are 100 times more common in soccer than any other sport in the history of sports. Soccer is like a nascar race, slightly exciting at the end when someone is trying to break the tie.

Barstool69 said...

i'll admit, i'm pretty easy to bait into an argument about this, but not that easy.

Shane said...

I dont think you can draw the conclusion that rick thinks all sports that could potentially end in ties are "un-American".

Snuffy said...

Shane, that is a valid point. Un-American is probaly the wrong word. However, Rick does state that he needs a winner. Using that logic, one can assume that Rick did not like college football until they added OT in the mid 90s.

Slic Ric said...

You know the saying about assumptions, don't you snuffy?

Weazle said...

I can't believe some of us (not all) are wasting logic on this conversation. Some of us like soccer. Some of us don't, and find it necessary to reinforce this distaste for some reason or another. It probably has something to do with C. Ronaldo being a bigger jet-setter, supermodel-lover, and over all big deal than the washed-up, old-man-boobed Nature Boy. After all, wrestlers don't take flops. Wait...the entire sport is a "flop". And the whitey-tighties and flowery boa is much less gay than wearing shorts and a shirt. When I think of this whole argument, I must consider the source, and the source is someone prefers to watch dudes get oiled up, shave their body hair off, put product in their hair, take their shirts off and rub all over each other, and this is all for the sake of theater.

Shane said...

Weazle always takes Schiv's side...

Denny said...

BBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!