Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Reception

Rule #76: No excuses play like a champion.

Let me just preface this by saying we were on Rolex time last night. So don't bring any of those Mickey Mouse watches around here. Now down to business

I told 'em all. Saturday night was going to be the main event and I never disappoint on the main event stage. Last night may have been my finest performance EVER. I started pre-gaming around 11 AM to get the ball rolling. Around 5 PM I slid in to all that magnificence that is my tan custom made suit, complete with a red pocket square (McCarthy has a picture and he can send it to you). I rode over to the Sheraton Suites having no idea what was in store but knowing I was well prepared to handle anything the night threw my way. Upon arriving at the hotel, I met the Baby Doll (looking like a 10) and her friend in the lobby. Apparently there was some miscommunication about our ride over to the wedding. While waiting for that ride, I pulled out the flask of Firefly, took 3 glasses from the dining room and we proceeded to take shots right there in the lobby of the Sheraton. We ended up missing the actual wedding but arrived just in time for the reception, stylin' and profilin', looking, woooooooooooooo, as only we can look. Boy were they glad to see me. I wandered around a little when we got there and received several "who are you here with again" questions.

There were a couple of things that stuck out at the reception. First of all, I almost had to chop the groom's cake because it was blue with a bunch of Florida Gator logos all over it. I didn't really like that and I let a couple of people know. I spoke with the DJ for about 15 minutes because he had a Georgia "G" sticker on his laptop. We talked about the upcoming football season and how Cox sucks and King's a bust. Much like myself, he wasn't very optimistic about the '09 season. I wanted to do a little dancing but he wasn't really playing my kind of tunes.I talked to a lot of people I didn't know but I'm not exactly sure what was said. They probably don't know either. I think I told half the family I was in insurance and the other half I was in audio and web conferencing. That led to a little confusion. Then I heard one of the older ladies said the "insurance guy" needs to be cut off. She couldn't have been talking about me because obviously I'm not in insurance any more. Something that surprised me was the open bar. I wasn't really surprised about the open bar, just the set-up. The servers were forbidden to put out any tip jars anywhere. I didn't like that and they didn't either. They were very nice, especially considering the circumstances. There was a bowl of Goldfish crackers on the bar so every time I went up there, in stealth like fashion, I stuffed a $5 bill into the Goldfish bowl and slid it across the table to the servers. They appreciated this and I appreciated them. Eventually after making several rounds I thanked everybody for inviting me, even though they didn't invite me, and we took off in a taxi with our sights set on East Andrews. All and all it was a nice reception and I think I made a good impression on everyone that they won't soon forget.

Stay tuned for part 2, the After Party. This is the point where Good Ol' JR would say "business is about to pick up."

1 comment:

Shane said...

Some notes/comments...

Whats the difference between a custom made and a non-custom made suit?

Mickey Mouse watches are pretty sweet!

The picture art is awesome. You should have gone to school for web design or something like that. Better yet, you should teach the classes.

I think when you try to tip at an open bar, you probably look more like a cracker than a high roller.

Can't wait to see you Friday!