Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Since We All Love Top 5's...

Thanks to barstool's recent post that alerted me to the ultra-convenient imeem.com, and in order to do my part in getting this blog updated regularly again, I'm introducing a new feature that I hope I'll remember to do pretty often: More Top Fives!

Here are my top five songs from the last couple of weeks:

1. Drive-By Truckers – A Ghost To Most

After kind of forgetting about it for a month or two, I decided to give the newest Drive-By Truckers album another spin last week. Not surprisingly, it's still the best thing I've heard all year and this is still easily the best song I've heard all year. The odds of hearing a DBT song is the only redeeming thing about setting foot in the place we like to call “The Beauregard's,” and I've got a pretty good feeling I'll be hearing this one if and when I can make it back to Athens sometime this fall.

A Ghost To Most - DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS

2. Duffy – Delayed Devotion

You've probably heard the song “Mercy” on the radio a lot recently, and yeah, it's pretty good and really catchy. But the rest of this chick's album sounds nothing like it, and I mean that in a good way. Most of it genuinely sounds like an old 60s soul record. You should check it out.

Delayed Devotion – Duffy

3. The Hold Steady – Sequestered in Memphis

I'm going to be honest. If I keep doing this top five thing on a regular basis, there's probably going to be a different Hold Steady song in there every time. They just recorded their fourth awesome album in the last five years, and it's the only thing I listened to for the first two weeks after I heard it. This is the first single, and I really hope one of you ends up enjoying these guys, because I desperately need someone to talk about them with.

Sequestered in Mephis - The Hold Steady

4. Mott the Hoople – All the Young Dudes

I have no idea what prompted me to start wanting to listen to this over and over recently. I probably just heard it on 105.3 or something for the first time in a while. But it also could be that I've realized it would be a perfect duet for karaoke. Just imagine. If you could find someone to handle the high parts, our dear friend Mr. Bunger would easily take it from there.

All the Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople

5. Feist – My Moon My Man

Barstool's posting that song Apple was using in its MacBook Air commercials got me to thinking about how some of our fellow contributors were enjoying their use of Feist's “1, 2, 3, 4” in some iPod ads last year. And that got me thinking about how I hadn't listened to any of Feist's music in a really long time. Then I decided this was the best song on her album “The Reminder.”

My Moon My Man – Feist

So that's the first top five, with another one to come in maybe a week, or whenever this five ends up getting replaced. Post yours if you've got 'em.

2 comments:

Charlie Dodson said...

1:Because GB's has great taste.

2:"Duffy" reminds me of "Blind Melon" for some reason.

3:I like songs about Memphis.

4:I know some dudes over at Terrapin Station (RET) that might be able to hit the highhh parts.

5:That song is badass.

Oh yeah. All my top 5 songs are old Buffet ones.

Barstool69 said...

1. Weird, my brother was telling me this past weekend that I needed to pick up DBT's new album. I'm assuming this is their first album since Isbell left.

2. I like this, but not Mercy

3. Need to give these guys a try, not overly interesting yet

4. Always wondered who sang this

5. Don't like Feist