Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Georgia Baseball 2008

Without a doubt I am one of the most disappointed people on the face of the earth. No one plays for 2nd place, especially Georgia. But I will let nothing tarnish this run or this team. It hurts real bad but it seemed to be fate for Fresno, and what a story it is. Georgia had its chances but we needed an 8th inning comeback in game 1 and were simply dominated in Games 2 and 3. I will remember the names Mendonca and Detwiler for a long time. But more so I will remember Beckham, Piesel, Olson, Fields, and every single member of this team. It may be corny but like Perno always said, there was something special about this team. SEC Champions, Athens regional champions over Georgia Tech, and Super-regional champions. One ray of light about the National Championship game was Gordan Beckham, THE greatest Georgia baseball player ever and one of the top 5 athletes in Georgia history, hit a home run in his final at bat. It put a cap on undoubtedly one of the greatest years in Georgia athletics. It wasn't our time, maybe it will be come January. Disappionting for sure, but I have never been prouder to be a Georgia Bulldog. Go Dawgs!

3 comments:

PMac said...

I talked alot with Donn Perno( David's older brother) back when I was working at the Capital City Club in the fall, and the one thing he always brought up was how special this baseball team was going to be. Damn, he was right. This team was exciting to watch and it's sad to the season end on this disappointing note. Gordon Beckham is awesome and like JJH4 said,the best Georgia baseball player to ever put on a uniform. I don't know if any of you remember walking to the UNC Greensboro game a few years ago and I mentioned to watch this guy play. He sure did turn out to be special. Last two at bats at Foley: home runs. Last career at bat: home run. Talk about storybook material. I wish him the best of luck with the White Sox and that crazy SOB Guillen. That said, I'm very proud of this team and I look forward to watching some of these guys make it to the majors. Go Dawgs!

sauers6 said...

the all time poster players for UGA baseball are definetely Tommy and Bobby Cannon

Charlie Dodson said...

PMA? Most def!