Thursday, January 26, 2012

Happy Birthday, JJ




1: NOLA
2: Baseball vs. Wayne County
3: Tuscaloosa Trip (One and Done, Baby)
4: Basketball vs. Bradwell
5: Rumble in Doraville

A little over 4 years ago, we were rocking and rolling together on Bourbon Street. Some 10 years ago, I was watching Jack pitch the best high school baseball game I had ever seen: a complete game against Wayne County in which he would allow only 1 run. (If Burnsed doesn't pop up with guys on 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 hours, we win the game). About 4 years and 4 months ago, we were walking across Garden City, I mean, Tuscaloosa- to find the best pork chops ever and a thrilling "One and Done, Baby" victory over the Fighting Fenders. About 10 years ago, Jack was starting at PG against Bradwell Institute and would lead us to our first region win in 3 years. Regrettably, it was also about 10 years ago that I was bloodying Jack's nose in the Hilton in Doraville.

Jack is a top 5 guy. He's a top 5 friend. Jacks's probably been there for 90% of my top 55 memories. We've discussed, listed, and voted on an absurd amount of top 5's. I am 100% confident that Jack will be one of the top 5 coaches of all time at BC. I've never played with or coached alongside a smarter guy or a guy with more game-sense. I have no idea what he'll coach or when he will be a head coach, but I can guarantee you he'll be highly successful. There's no one I'd rather have coach my child than Jack.

There are, of course, plenty of great coaches who I wouldn't want to hang out. There are people who have been there for some of my best memories that I'd rather not see again. Jack has been "doing things right for 27 years". I met Jack my freshman year of high school (3 years after his apparent peak) and he's been the same guy ever since. He loves Georgia, BC, Lindsey, SVA, Hilliard's, Tybee, St. Patrick's Day, Beach Bum Parade, Slugfest, Church's Chicken, pink ties, and Pink-God-Almighty's. He is a gifted singer, broadcaster, and disc jockey.

I will not attempt to list all of the prestigious groups Jack is a part of; God knows there are a ton. I'm just glad he and his friend Shane let me start hanging out with them in high school. I consider myself lucky to be one of Jack's better friends now. 27 years from now I know that Jack and I will be still be talking about BC, doing top 5's, and making trips to Athens, Tybee, and Tuscaloosa. Here's to hoping that the next 27 are even better than the first 27.

Happy Birthday, Jack

4 comments:

Pl0we said...

Happy Birthday Jack!!

Don, with the way most of live our lives, I don't think any of us will be alive in 27 years. I hope we are though.

Charlie Dodson said...

"Dont stop believing."

Frank said...

Were those pork chops consumed at the RVs, by chance?

Charlie Dodson said...

Yeah. Best pork chops I've ever eaten.