Sunday, November 28, 2010

Barstool Is Right On Both Counts

I don't think that I've posted, or even commented, on anything related to Georgia football this season.

For one thing, it's been a busy fall for me. But mostly it's because the season has been so bad that I didn't want to make any knee-jerk reactions. When a team starts off 1-4, loses to the worst Florida team in six years, and pretty much squanders having the best receiver in the country and the SEC's best edge rusher, knee-jerk reactions are about all you can make.

Now seems like the perfect time to look at what happened this fall because there are a full 12 games to draw from, and because the Tech game seemed to sum up the season pretty well. These are some things I've been thinking about, many of which were probably discussed this weekend. Really, I'm just thinking out loud here.

So like I said, the Tech performance was exactly what you should have come to expect by now.

The running game was nonexistent early on, but that was okay because A.J. Green might be the best skill player in the country and words cannot describe how good Aaron Murray is. Yet Georgia did what it always seems to do, going away from what's working at times presumably for the sake of “balance.” I'm not one to rip specific play calls since I don't know what goes into a given situation, but this more of a philosophical thing. Then again, the offense has scored points. As long as the offense from the South Carolina game doesn't show up next year with Green in the NFL, I've got no major issues with Mike Bobo.

The offensive line is a different story. It struggled all year and did so again in short yardage against Tech. The defensive line was abused as well. I think the defensive issues can be addressed through recruiting because of the relative lack of size, but it doesn't look great in the short term. I can't even make an educated guess on the offensive line. Maybe Stick has been right to rip Dave Van Halanger all these years. I just don't get it.

This definitely was addressed before the game Saturday: the defense still could be fine given enough time. Defensive backs continue to look lost in coverage after 12 games, so that's either residue from the decline under Willie Martinez or maybe Todd Grantham hasn't perfectly translated his defense from the NFL to the college level. I think it's smart to reserve judgment until everyone gets a full offseason together. There was improvement in some areas, believe it or not.

Basically, no one is going to lose their jobs, and that's the way it should be. But I don't see how next year isn't make-or-break for everyone. It's not smart to put a number on anything, but Georgia obviously was not a very good team this year despite the few bright spots. I'd just hate to see what happens this time next year if we're saying the same things about the 2011 team. Anyone who has ever talked football with me knows I hate conjecture like this, but there are enough red flags that even I've got to say it.

Song of the Day: Justin Townes Earle -- Ain't Waitin'

13 comments:

Barstool69 said...

good segue with the song

JJBA said...

Well said. I have been very anti-Grantham since the Florida game basically because I thought we would get better as the season progressed. We gave up 34, 49, and 34 in our last 3 real games. Nothing I have seen makes me feel good about our defense going forward. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The Liberty Bowl seems to be the destination. This is by far the least deserving bowl team in Georgia history. Playing UCF or SMU has no positive outcome.

Richt's first 10 years far exceeds Dooley's first 10 record wise. I like CMR and how he represents Georgia and hope he is here for 10 more. But I'm thinking a 9-4 overall record is the worst he can do and keep his job in '12.

Frank said...

In 2007, fresh off a transition to the 3-4, Alabama gave up 22 points per game. In 2010, UGA gave up 23.1 per game. There's some optimism for you, JJBA.

Also, it's not so much about who our bowl opponent is but the fact that we'll get in an extra month of practice in Grantham's defense. You told me yourself our D guys are just confused.

JJBA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JJBA said...

I agree that going to any bowl is a good thing. I'm just saying that playing a CUSA opponent seems like a no win situation.

As far as the defense, I think they will get better I just don't know how much. More than anything I wanted to see us make some adjustments as the games went on but Auburn and Tech were both almost unstoppable in their respective 2nd halfs.

A good off season of understanding the system and knowing the personnel better should help tremendously but it shouldn't take until the season is over to see strides forward imo.

Pl0we said...

There needs to be changes made to the strength and conditioning department.

Barstool69 said...

http://www.redandblack.com/2010/11/29/burnett-resigns-as-red-black-editor-in-chief-2/

JJBA said...

Stick was thinking about making a visit to the President's box during the '04 LSU game.

Slic Ric said...

If the President's box was in a ditch next to the stadium, I made it.

anymouse said...

"I'm not even going to argue with you."

JJBA said...

Sticky, who was more upset.... Pops when u fell or Don when there was nothing you could do about it at Little Italy?

Charlie Dodson said...

Take your receipt and get the damn calzone!

anymouse said...

whaddyawantmetodo?