Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Today We Celebrate Our Independence Day

Happy 4th of July to everyone. As you might be able to tell due my recent string of posts, I'm getting a lot of studying done. But being in Athens alone with nobody to play with has made me a little reflective and nostalgic. Now this song, "Courtesy of the Red,White, and Blue" by Toby Keith, serves a couple of purposes. First of all, it's one of the most patriotic songs and a perfect fit for a day like today. I'm just glad to be able to post it in celebration of our Independence Day. Several weeks ago, during Adolph McCarthy's brief stint as dictator, I might have been shoved in the back of the gas chamber for posting such "propaganda." Anyways, this song also brings back a few memories. The first and the best centers around Sundays at City Market listening to the Courtney Brothers performing the song live (that was the first time i had ever heard of it). Good friends, good pizza from Vinnie's, good music, and not a care in the world. What I wouldn't give to go back to those glory days. The other memory, believe it or not, involves Sweeney and myself. McCarthy might even remember this. The summer between graduating BC and moving up to Athens I probably hit the weights the hardest I ever have in my life and my cardiovascular condition was at a peak. Sweeney, myself, and sometimes McCarthy would go over to BC every morning to workout and run a little. We also went over to Memorial Stadium to run the steps. Before we did this we listened to some music to get "pumped up." I promised to listen to Slipknot while he promised to listen to this song. Once again, much simpler times. I guess you don't know what you got, till it's gone.

6 comments:

Charlie Dodson said...

And if you cant be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with

PMac said...

All of those workouts were in preparation for this day if I remember correctly. Those sleds were a bitch might I add.

Slic Ric said...

Ah yes a Holland classic.

JJBA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JJBA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JJBA said...

.