Monday, March 07, 2011

Who's Wrong?

There are a lot of qualifiers in this piece, but it sounds like Mark Bradley is saying that Georgia has to win two games in the SEC tournament to make the NCAAs.

Bradley's been around a lot longer than I have, so maybe he knows something I don't. But I'm pretty sure everything else I've seen suggests that if Georgia beats Auburn they're in. Two losses to Alabama wouldn't look good, but I'm pretty sure that a top 40 RPI and strength of schedule -- with 'Bama being the closest thing to a bad loss -- should get you in.

Does that seem right, or am I missing something? I wouldn't want to get too excited if Georgia manages to not fall apart on Thursday.

On an unrelated note, 10 more days.



3 comments:

JJBA said...

Its ridiculous, imo, that after the Tennessee win everyone (including Lunardi) said that if Georgia took care of LSU and Carolina, as well as won their 1st round SECT game that they were a shoe in. Now Lunardi and a few others are saying they need to make it to Saturady. I'm not saying they are wrong now but no matter what happens they are going to be wrong in some capacity. Then you have the guy from CBS Sportsline pegging Georgia as a 9 seed. The NCAA Matrix Project combines like 30 different projections and all of them averaged have Georgia as a 10. But a number of these sites seem very amateurish.

Anyway, I stand by my belief that Georgia deserves a bid over a lot of the teams that are sharing the bubble. However, if Georgia is left out its nobody's fault but their own. Double digit leads against Notre Dame, Vandy, Florida, and Xavier all evaporated. Losing 4 out of 5 home games at one point is not tournament-esque. If we lose Thursday we are out. If we lose to Bama, if we are fortunate enough to get there, I just hope it doesn't come down to us 2 for a final spot.

I'd like to think we can recreate 2008 but we don't have Bliss and we do have Thompkins.

Shane said...

Conference championships could play a major factor. Especially in the ACC and the Pac10. It looks like there are only about four teams from the ACC and three teams from the Pac10 that are in right now. It would not be hard to image either of these conferences also sending an automatic qualifier.

Georgia needs to win two to be safe. Good news is Auburn sucks and its hard to be a team twice in one week.

Lastly, St. Peters is dancing. Whats St. James doing?

PMac said...

Speaking of St. James, they won the Charlotte basketball tourney a few weeks ago. That's gotta be a first for a Savannah Catholic school. My 8th grade year we lost in the semifinals when Wallden and Paige got in foul trouble. As much as I don't want to, I've gotta give credit where credit is due.