Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Game of the Century

#2 Michigan (+6.5) at #1 Ohio State

While I don’t hear a whole lot of people giving Michigan much of a chance in this game, I just don’t see this game as being the slam dunk it seems to have been made out to be. These teams are much more similar than they appear at first glance, and the Wolverines actually do seem to have an advantage or two heading into this.

Ohio State’s most impressive wins are against a Texas team starting a freshman quarterback and a very average Iowa squad. Michigan has beaten an OK Notre Dame team and Wisconsin, a team the jury is probably still out on.

In the Buckeyes’ favor, they are playing at home, have arguably the game’s premier big game coach, and boast the best player on the field in the form of Troy Smith. But the Wolverines can run the football, and if this OSU defense has a weakness, it’s no doubt against the run.



And the more I think about it, the more I start to favor Michigan in this game. Their stable of big play receivers gives them the ability to match any big plays the trio of Smith, Ted Ginn, and Anthony Gonzalez may provide, and Mike Hart has absolutely gashed people at times this year. And I don’t think people really realize just how nasty the UM defense has been this season.

I know it’s iffy to talk about the second-ranked team in the country getting disrespected, but the Wolverines are getting slighted as much as any team in their current position can be. Tressell owns Lloyd Carr and all that stuff, but I just get a little nervous when no one gives a team as good as Michigan a chance in a big game.



I’m going against my usual criteria for picking games, sure, but maybe I’m just feeling a little upset-minded this week.

Michigan - 24, Ohio State - 22

No comments: