Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Bottom Line Saturday


Rocky beat a 6'7" Russian on steroids to end the Cold War; 
what's your excuse for not winning a big game Georgia?

"Right now, Florida's playing very physical and they're gonna try to come out and just manhandle you. So I'm really looking forward to seeing what are we gonna do. Somebody's gonna get punched in the mouth, it's either gonna be us or them. And whoever gets punched in the mouth is gonna have to step back in and say: What are we gonna do now? Are we gonna give in or are we gonna fight back?" - Shawn Williams

Everybody has heard about Shawn Williams' comments by now. You could argue he went about this the wrong way but the message shouldn't come as a shock to anyone based on what we've witnessed this year. Forget the stats. Throw the records out the window. Screw the SEC Championship and a Sugar Bowl invitation. I'll leave the game breakdown and analysis to JJBA. Quite frankly, I'm not interested in any of that stuff. One thing is definitely going to happen on Saturday: Florida will bust Georgia in the mouth.

Aside from that, I'm really not sure what is going to happen. Win or lose though, results be damned, I want to see a Bulldogs team that hits back. I want to see a team that competes and comes to fight in a big game. Well, it doesn't get any bigger than Saturday afternoon on the banks of the St. Johns. This is what a rivalry game is supposed to be like, a good ol' fashion slobberknocker as JR would say. Talent is pretty much equal across the board. Coaching is debatable but this is not the time for that discussion. Toss out any cliché you want, this game comes down to who wants it more and who's willing to fight for that extra inch, the extra inch that could mean the fucking difference between winning and losing (see video).

If this doesn't get you jacked then consider yourself uninspirable #SteaminWillieBeamen

Unfortunately, I have seen nothing this season that makes me think Georgia is willing to pay the price of becoming a champion. Case in point, Christian Robinson's feelings were hurt by Shawn Williams' comments:

"Robinson admitted that hearing the comments hurt. 'It does. It does,' he said. 'But at the same time, nothing you hear is 100 percent true, and 100 percent wrong. I take it as: We have been a little soft. But has that gotten us beat? I don't think so."

Hell, since 2006, Georgia teams have laid down, quit, or not shown up at all against “good teams” too many times for me to be completely confident about Saturday's outcome. I'm not going to make some outlandish prediction* but I believe the Bulldogs simply cannot win a game of this magnitude against a team like the Gators without a major attitude adjustment. I'm not sure how possible it is to just "flip the switch" in a week's time, but hopefully #36's tirade was the first domino to fall.

*Before any Disney Dawgs retort, this is not a post saying Georgia will lose Saturday. I'm saying something has to change in order for them to win and I think most fans would agree. Lest we forget, that '07 squad righted their ship just in time for the WLOCP. I won't give a score but confidence-wise, on a scale of 1-10, I'm at a 4. That could be good or bad... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! See everyone in Savannah!

Say hello to Florida's mascots, Albert the alligator, who's just hanging out...


... and his sister Alberta, who tastes like chicken.


2 comments:

Charlie Dodson said...

Saw Any Given Sunday with Alstad and Plowe at the movie theatre on Victory. It sure got everyone in there fired up.

Go Dogs. 27-23.

LYGTG.

Slic Ric said...

Not one of the safer movie theater establishments in Savannah but I can definitely see that kind of crowd going ape shit for AGS. #seewhatIdidthere