Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lots of Posting Lately

I listen to records the way my friend Slic watches movies. Mr. Starr might not feel this way with his hobby, but a lot of times I have little moments when I wonder why I waste so much time doing it.

Then, maybe once a year, it all makes sense, and I feel compelled to write a blog post about it. This happened last summer with Those Darlins' debut. But the album I'm obsessing over right now is something like that times a billion.

So anyway, there's this band -- really, just some dude from Kentucky -- called State Champion. I heard their record Stale Champagne a few weeks ago and, I know I'm prone to hyperbole, but it's the best thing I've heard in about five years. Possibly much longer.

It's this sprawling, drunken country-rock record that's basically what I would have wanted my band to sound like if I'd ever had any musical talent. The whole thing sounds like it could fall apart at any second. So...I don't know. I just felt the need to talk about this in public somewhere.

There are only two songs from it on YouTube as far as I can tell. They're right here, if anyone cares.

“Bite the Dust”

“The Years”

Edit: More here. And here.

My tailgate CD recommendation: load up on the Lady Gaga singles and you can't go wrong.

3 comments:

Slic Ric said...

Mouse you dropped the ball again this year on OIA's conference champions and Heisman winners. WTF?

anymouse said...

No excuses on that one.

Shane said...

It's probably not too late. I still don't know for certain who will win the conference championships OR the Heisman.